University of the Arts: London College of Fashion
Footwear Design Summer School
For 8 weeks I lived in London and studied footwear from professors in the industry including Michael Czerwinski, Eelko Moorer, Nafi Msutafa, and Simone Brewster. During the program we recieved industry experience within London and Paris directed by Michael and Basia. The course consisted of 3 units: design, making, and computer-aided design with the latest in 3D scanning and Rhino 3D software.
There are 3 key elements to the programme, which will be integrated throughout the duration of your study
• Design experimentation and play: learning through deconstructing & making
• Foot analysis, foot anatomy, measuring the foot & fitting
• Understanding the last
• An introduction to fashion forecasting
• Working with inspiration, design conceptualization, through design development
• Sketching & speed drawing for footwear
• Materials & their properties
• From mass market to conceptual footwear
• Understanding the consumer
• Collection & range building
• Technical drawing for footwear & visual communication
• Sourcing & production.
• Visits, field trips (inspiration / store) may be planned if appropriate.
• Make a basic court shoe, using a given last
• Create a pattern to cut leather uppers and linings in the clicking room working on a basic last to produce ONE shoe sample.
• How to lay patterns and cut/click correctly.
• Assemble cut uppers and stitch these together in the closing room.
• Prepare components for the lasting process (Making) of the closed uppers on the last.
• Last the upper using traditional as well as hand making techniques and specialist machinery.
• Apply a heel and components that are suitable for your last.
• Fully realise and construct a product based on your original pattern.
Computer Aided Design:
• Experience 3D scanning technology through lecture & demonstration of the INFOOT digital foot scanner
• Utilise RHINOCEROS’s 3D functionality to design & take snapshots of designs from varying views facilitating their display.
UAL. (Summer 2015). Footwear design syllabus. [Class handout]. Summer School. London College of Fashion. London, UK.
Using the latest technology in 3D programming we learned how to make a shoe, heel, and sole using Rhinoceros 3D; taught by Peter Hill.
Taught by industry professional, Nafi Mustafa, we learned how to work with leather to make our own patterns and construct a shoe using professional industry equipment.